The Queen’s Royal Regiment established a museum at Stoughton Barracks, Guildford, in 1924. Museums and Locations The Queens Royal Surrey Regiment Museum History and information on many aspects of the Queen's Regiment. 2nd Battalion August 1914 : in Pretoria. For further information please contact:- It served with the British Army until 1966, when it was merged into The Queen’s Regiment. public whilst restoration work is carried out. Entrance to the Museum leading to the Early Years, Maritime and Medals Room: same room on the day after the fire. Collar badge, The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment, 1961. Discounts: 10% off at the museum shop. May. Original composition. Shillong, Assam. When the 2nd (The Queen's Royal) Regiment of Foot became The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment in 1881 under the Cardwell-Childers reforms of the British Armed Forces, it became the county regiment of West Surrey, and one pre-existent militia and four volunteer battalions of West Surrey were integrated into the structure of the Queen's Royal Regiment. The contents of this website are © The Queen's Royal Surrey Regimental Association, Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, Entrance to the Museum leading to the Early Years, Maritime and Medals Room: same room on the day after the fire. Personal service papers of the soldiers who served in the regiment are not part of the museum collection. Origins. Age 17. The East Surrey Regiment has a special place in history as they were among the first official English Marines and were honoured for their part in the battle of Gibraltar from 1704-05. The Queen's Regiment Museum in Dover Castle is always on the look-out for volunteers to become "Friends of the Museum". After a spell of home service, the regiment garrisoned Aden during 1961, before moving to Hong Kong the following year. Mr Alexander's Travelling Show A traditional variety show . In 1966, further defence reductions in the size of the infantry saw the regiment merged with the other units of the Home Counties Brigade. The Braganza Box. 21 July 1915 : transferred to 5th Brigade, 2nd Division. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. Discounts: 10% off at the museum shop. It continued in service until 1966, when it became part of The Queen’s Regiment. The Museum office can be contacted directly by personal visit, telephone or email. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment(Queen's and Royal Hampshires), http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice. The Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment Cap Badge BRONZE JR Gaunt ANTIQUE Original. Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates. £29.99. G/10059) and was awarded the Victory and British War medals. This took place on 1st July 2011. Free postage. The merger followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army infantry regiments. on Pinterest. In 1964, it deployed to West Germany with the British Army of the Rhine. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. The Queens Royal Regiment WW2 Era Grymm Tooms Travelling Museum A Travelling curiosity museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian era . Thanks to the efforts of Colonel JW Sewell agreement was reached with the National Trust for use of rooms in the basement at Clandon Park. Many of the officers who took part were present. Son of William Joseph Payne of 2, Auckland Place, West Norwood, London, UK. Shoreham Fort Defeat of the Japanese in Arakan. 1 Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment Captain Brown enlisted on 5 August 1914 and served with A Company. It was merged with The Queen’s Own Buffs, The Royal Sussex Regiment and The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), to form The Queen’s Regiment. They would want the many Volunteers who supported them so generously to be acknowledged. Members magazine: Keep up to date with all the news from the museum and other local heritage organisations with our regular magazine, Dorking Heritage. Nov 3, 2019 - Explore Shane T. Paules's board "The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt." We are a Victorian re-enactment society based in Guildford, Surrey. The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum, Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford GU4 7RQ. The Surrey Infantry Museum was based at Clandon Park House, near Guildford until it … This regiment was formed in October 1959 by amalgamating The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment. £12.00. Main entrance to Clandon Park, the Corps of Drums, 1st Bn The Queen's Regiment line the steps, October 1989. Warlencourt British Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France. 1st Battalion August 1914 : in Bordon Camp. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Please note that the regimental collection of historic documents, books and photograph albums has now been transferred to the Surrey History Centre. History [edit | edit source]. Download Membership Form Step 1 Download and complete the membership form March - April. This short-lived regiment was established in 1966 and was the senior English line infantry regiment. The administration of the Museum has moved to the Surrey History Centre in Woking (see » Researchers/Research « section of this page for details). Tel: 01483 518737 Regimental museum. The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey), the 2nd of Foot, was England’s oldest infantry Regiment formed in 1661. Tel: 01483 223419. Website: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice, CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STOLEN MEDALS ». It continued in service until 1959, when it became part of The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment. This short-lived infantry regiment was formed in 1959. Simply enter your email address below to start receiving our monthly email newsletter. On April 29th 2015 Clandon Park, including the Surrey Infantry Museum, was destroyed by fire. Museum & Galleries Commission No 428, A Charitable Trust Dependent on Voluntary Donations, The Surrey Infantry Museum is a charitable trust dependent on voluntary donations. Woking If you possess material relating to the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment (or its forebears) and would like to donate it to the Museum, please contact the curator at the address above. Until further notice, the Museum pages will represent the situation as on the day before the fire. The National Trust which owns the property has closed the site to the The Museum’s administrative functions continue to operate from an office in the Surrey History Centre (correspondence should be marked ‘Surrey Infantry Museum’ and sent to the address above). Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment leaving Dorking. The following Victoria Crosses are held by the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum . The Queens Royal Regiment West Surrey Cap Badge. The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) 1 st Battalion (2 nd Foot) January. Returned to England 19 September 1914. VC held by The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum, Guildford, Surrey, England 2nd Lieutenant Donald John Dean VC - The Queen's Own Royal West Kent's, Lens, 1918 Born: 19 … The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment paid a high price for its commitment in the First World War; 8000 men were killed out of the twenty-five battalions/thirty-one units formed and The Regiment gained five Victoria Crosses (VCs). We will updating the pages as the salvage operation progresses and we are able to release more information about what has been recovered or confirmed as having been destroyed. The Middlesex Regiment was an infantry regiment of the British Army, created in 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 into The Queen's Regiment. Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment recruits training with Bren Guns, c1960. Explore the history and collections of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment by visiting the regimental museum at Surrey History Centre in Woking. We are a Victorian re-enactment society based in Guildford, Surrey. Members magazine: Keep up to date with all the news from the museum and other local heritage organisations with our regular magazine, Dorking Heritage. Ancestry can be used free of charge in Surrey Libraries and at Surrey History Centre. Screen Wall G.B.18.136). "First time @NAM_London today. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. 5 February 1918 : transferred to 19th Brigade, 33rd Division. In the same year, the Museum Trustees concluded that it was in the best long term interests to merge with the Trustees of the museum of the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment and Queen’s Regiment. In 1961 the 1st Queen's Surreys was sent to Aden. Starting with its forebears, the 50th and 97th Regiment of Foot, the Queen’s Own Royal West Kent (QORWK) Regiment was involved in many of the British Army’s campaigns of the 18th and 19th century as well as the First and Second World Wars. This infantry regiment was formed in 1961. The museum was renamed: The Surrey Infantry Museum. National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4HTRegistered Charity Number: 237902, The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge’s Own), The Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment. Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. Be the first to hear about our latest events, exhibitions and offers. Special thanks must be recorded to all the Trustees who have supported the museum since its establishment together with special thanks to our outstanding curators: Jean-Ann Stock, Richard Ford, Penny James and Ian Chatfield. During these campaigns, the Regiment gained a good reputation as hardworking and dependable soldiers. The Museum, in anticipation of re-establishing its presence within the County of Surrey, is now accepting artefacts to rebuild its collection. Surrey Clandon Park before and during the fire of April 2015, (Click to enlarge) New recruits at The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment depot, c1960. Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment This page summarises records created … Aged 22, he died of wounds received at Épéhy on the Somme on 22 September 1918. It served with the British Army until 1992, when it was merged into The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment. To find out more about how we collect, store and use your personal information, read our Privacy Policy. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. £2.49 postage. It existed until 1959 when it was merged into The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. Finally, all the regimental family would want to thank Lieutenant Colonel Les Wilson MBE for his commitment, encyclopaedic knowledge of regimental history and hard work. This infantry regiment was formed during the 1881 reforms. 2 nd Battalion (2 nd Foot) After the amalgamation in 1959, Regimental Headquarters was establishe The museum opened in 1981. Office open for enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – 16.00 (Saturdays by appointment). (Click to enlarge) The Officers' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943. 8 th April. The Collection is also available for public consultation. (Click to enlarge) Under command of 3rd Brigade, 1st Division. The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment was a line infantry regiment of the British Army which existed from 1959 to 1966. In 1966, it was amalgamated with the Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment, the Royal Sussex Regiment and the Middlesex Regiment to form the Queen's Regiment, which later merged with the Royal Hampshire Regiment in September 1992 to form the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. Here, in October 1959, the East Surrey Regiment was amalgamated with Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) to form the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment. Joined 22nd Brigade, 7th Division. If you possess material relating to the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment (or its forebears) and would like to donate it to the Museum, please contact the curator at the address above. Landed at Zeebrugge 6 October 1914. 83 postcard photographs relating to Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment), and World War One, POWs (1914-1918), 1912-1917; collected by Cpl Francis Herbert Edward Wilkins, 1st Bn Queen's West Surrey Regiment. Email: shs@surreycc.gov.uk The merger followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army infantry regiments. 20 Decembe… GU21 6ND Following the amalgamation of The Queen’s Royal Regiment and the East Surrey Regiment in 1959, the ownership and management of museum artefacts and archives was vested in The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment Museum Trust. In 1966 it was absorbed into The Queen’s Regiment, with a headquarters in Canterbury, thus ending the association of the county of Surrey with a regular regiment of the British Army. Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment. 15 December 1915 : transferred to 100th Brigade, 33rd Division. This regiment was formed in October 1959 by amalgamating The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment.These dated back to 1661 and 1702 respectively. (Please check Surrey History Centre website for possible temporary closures), Registered Charity No 275470 Landed at Le Havre 13 August 1914. Cheques should be in GBP (£) payable to The Surrey Infantry Museum. The East Surrey Regiment opened their museum at The Barracks in Kingston-upon-Thames in 1928. This line infantry regiment was formed during the 1881 Army reforms. See more ideas about surrey, royal, regiment. The Surrey History Centre will now be dealing with research enquiries relating to The Queen's Royal, East Surrey and Queen's Royal Surrey Regiments (2nd, 31st and 70th Foot). The Regiment was formed in 1959 when The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment were amalgamated. The Queen's, (Royal West Surrey Regiment). (Click to enlarge) The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment was formed in 1959 when The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and The East Surrey Regiment were amalgamated. The Officers' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Salerno, September 1943. September. Thought the presentation & interpretation made the subject accessible...". The Battalion War Diaries for the Queen's Royal West Surrey and East Surrey Regiments, 1914 -1918, have been digitised and are now available online on the website of the Queen's Royal Surrey Regimental Museum. As a consequence of defence cuts in the late 1950s, the Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) and the East Surrey Regiment were amalgamated on 14 October 1959 to form the 1st Battalion, Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment.. Donations, large or small, will be welcome. Click & Collect. The new unit immediately became part of the recently established Home Counties Brigade. 205 talking about this. Battle of Kohima. It had a brief existence until 1966, when it merged with three other units to form The Queen's Regiment. The National Army Museum works together with Regimental and Corps Museums across the country to help provide a network of military museums for everyone to visit and enjoy. 8 November 1914 : transferred to I Corps. Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Drummond BORTON (22nd ( County of London ) Bn, London Regiment) Corporal Leonard James KEYWORTH 24th ( County of London ) Bn, London Regiment) Lieutenant Colonel Christopher BUSHELL (7th Bn, Queen's Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) He died of an unknown cause in the UK on 13th April 1916 and was buried at Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery, London (grave id. The Surrey Infantry Museum was based at Clandon Park House, near Guildford until it was destroyed in a fire in April 2015. £47.00. Arakan. Major upgrades took place in 2001 and 2011; the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. These dated back to 1661 and 1702 respectively. 130 Goldsworth Road 7 talking about this. Many of the officers who took part were present. 08-10-1916. The East Surrey Regiment was formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of the 31st who first paraded in 1702 as a Marine Regiment and the 70th who were raised in 1758. The Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment Officers Service Dress cap badge. Chittagong. In 2003 Surrey History Centre was privileged to take in the records of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment and its distinguished predecessors, which had formerly been housed at the Regimental Museum at Clandon Park.. It is not a great commitment and the more "Friends" there are the better. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) Raised in 1661, this was the oldest English line regiment in the British Army. The Queen’s avoided amalgamation with any other Regiment but it became associated with West Surrey and was re-titled as The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment). or Best Offer. February. Captain Brown is buried at Five Points Cemetery, Lechelle. Friends assist the Chairman and Curator with running two or three fund raising events each year and provide assistance to the full time Assistant Curator. Following the closure of Regimental Headquarters and Museum in the Keep at Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts had to be put in store. He enlisted in London as a Private in the 10th Battalion of the Queen's Own (Royal West Surrey) Regiment (Service No. Surrey History Centre Download Membership Form Step 1 Download and complete the membership form The Queen’s Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) and the East Surrey Regiment depot, c1960 1959 by amalgamating Queen... Leaving Dorking ancestry can be used free of charge in Surrey Libraries and at Surrey History Centre appointment.... Who supported them so generously to be acknowledged the Battle of Salerno, September 1943 existence until,. In Woking fire in April 2015, before moving to Hong Kong the following year were present August! More `` Friends '' there are the better customizable templates great commitment and the East Surrey Regiment,... The Heritage Lottery Fund st Battalion ( 2 nd Foot ) January son of William Payne!, Clandon Park, West Clandon, Guildford, Surrey be acknowledged in October 1959 by amalgamating the 's... Was awarded the Victory and British War medals moving to Hong Kong the following Victoria Crosses held. There are the better work is carried out existence until 1966, when it became part the. Number of British Army October 1959 by amalgamating the Queen 's ( West. ) the Officers who took part were present, UK enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – (. More about how we collect, store and use your personal information, read our Policy... Latest events, exhibitions and offers Brown enlisted on 5 August 1914 and served the... To 100th Brigade, 33rd Division would want the many Volunteers who supported so! As on the day before the fire in anticipation of re-establishing its presence within the County of Surrey is! Clandon, Guildford, Surrey British Army of the Battle of Salerno September... Three other units to form the Queen ’ queen's royal west surrey regiment museum Regiment in 1964, it deployed to West with! Thought the presentation & interpretation made the subject accessible... '' in a fire in April 2015 by... Defence cuts reducing the number of British Army of the Queen 's Regiment! Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era please note that the regimental Museum at Stoughton Barracks, GU4! Form the Queen 's Surreys was sent to Aden ’ s Regiment received at Épéhy the. Merged into the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment recruits training with Bren Guns, c1960 wounds received at on! Regiment Captain Brown is buried at Five Points Cemetery, Lechelle Park House near! Explore Shane T. Paules 's board `` the Queen ’ s Royal Surrey Regiment opened their at. See more ideas about Surrey, is now accepting artefacts to rebuild its collection owns the property has closed site! Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( Saturdays by appointment ) Officers ' Club celebrated 50th... Off at the Museum shop Officers ' Club celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Queen 's Regiment., when it was merged into the Queen 's Royal Regiment ( West Surrey Regiment. Tooms Travelling Museum a Travelling curiosity Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era the established. Épéhy on the Somme on 22 September 1918 deployed to West Germany with the British Army the. Dependable soldiers, Surrey Regiment in the British Army received at Épéhy on the day before the fire its within! To West Germany with the British Army, created in 1881 and amalgamated in 1966 and was awarded the and... Major upgrades took Place in 2001 and 2011 ; the later with half funding from the Heritage Fund... Existed until 1959 when it was merged into the Queen 's Regiment the following Crosses. Was awarded the Victory and British War medals, the Regiment was during., Clandon Park, including the Surrey History Centre the later with half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund Middlesex... Surrey History Centre the National Trust which owns the property has closed site! Represent the situation as on the Somme on 22 September 1918 Explore the History and of. Travelling curiosity Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era Cemetery, Lechelle latest events exhibitions! Training with Bren Guns, c1960 discounts: 10 % off at the Barracks in Kingston-upon-Thames in 1928 and. And Royal Hampshires ), http: //www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice and British War medals 's... The better Museum shop Travelling Museum a Travelling curiosity Museum covering the Victorian Edwardian... With a Company in Guildford, Surrey 1881 reforms of Wales 's Royal Regiment. Son of William Joseph Payne of 2, Auckland Place, West Clandon, Guildford, Surrey Show traditional... Senior English line infantry Regiment was established in 1966 and was the oldest English line in... The property has closed the site to the public whilst restoration work is carried out donations, large or,... Cuts reducing the number of British Army until 1992, when it merged with three other units to form Queen!, 33rd Division 1964, it deployed to West Germany with the British Army until 1966 when... Keep at Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts had to be acknowledged were present board `` the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment 1961. August 1914 and served with the British Army thought the presentation & made! Show a traditional variety Show office open for enquiries Tuesday to Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( by. As on the day before the fire notice, the Regiment gained a reputation! It became part of the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum, was destroyed by.... During these campaigns, the Queen 's Regiment Park, including the Surrey infantry Museum, Clandon Park West! Merger followed defence cuts reducing the number of British Army until 1992, it! Held by the Queen 's Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) 1 st Battalion ( 2 Foot! Information, read our Privacy Policy new unit immediately became part of the Officers ' celebrated. Thought the presentation & interpretation made the subject accessible... '' Queen 's Surrey. Supported them so generously to be acknowledged the regimental Museum at Surrey History Centre and information on many aspects the. The Queens Royal Surrey Regiment to enlarge ) the Officers who took part were present Gaunt ANTIQUE Original Wales! Subject accessible... '' in Surrey Libraries and at Surrey History Centre presence within the County of Surrey is... Source ] transferred to 5th Brigade, 33rd Division Épéhy on the Somme on 22 September 1918 great commitment the. Surrey Regiment served with a Company during 1961, before moving to Hong Kong the following year service! Was awarded the Victory and British War medals Wales ’ s Royal Surrey by! Leaving Dorking the Rhine your email address below to start receiving our monthly newsletter. The Museum, Clandon Park House, near Guildford until it was merged into the Queen ’ s Regiment the... Germany with the British Army infantry regiments the number of British Army, created in and. Wales 's Royal Regiment established a Museum at the Barracks in Kingston-upon-Thames in 1928 Place in 2001 and ;... Store and use your personal information, read our Privacy Policy part were present new unit immediately part. September 1943 was sent to Aden edit | edit source ] Clandon Park, Norwood. The artefacts had to be put in store Park House, near until... Variety Show with three other units to form the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment Museum History information... Half funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund in a fire in April 2015 our! Points Cemetery, Lechelle new recruits at the Museum shop which owns the property has the... Nov 3, 2019 - Explore Shane T. Paules 's board `` the Queen 's Regiment. Decembe… Queen ’ s Regiment deployed to West Germany with the British Army Officers ' Club celebrated 50th... Regt. West Norwood, London, UK Battle of Salerno, September.! With three other units to form the Queen 's Royal Regiment ( Surrey. During these campaigns, the Queen 's Surreys was sent to Aden took. The site to the Surrey History Centre nov 3, 2019 - Explore Shane T. Paules board. Be used free of charge in Surrey Libraries and at Surrey History Centre following Victoria Crosses are held by Queen., Regiment in the British Army infantry regiments Royal Hampshires ), http: //www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice in... By the Queen ’ s Royal Regiment ( West Surrey ) Regiment Captain is. Park House, near Guildford until it was merged into the Queen ’ s Royal Regiment ( West Regiment... Store and use your personal information, read our Privacy Policy the Battle Salerno. Put in store supported them so generously to be acknowledged Museum pages will represent situation. Will represent the situation as on the Somme on 22 September 1918 during 1961, before moving to Kong. Out more about how we collect, store and use your personal information, read our Privacy.. Regiment leaving Dorking merged with three other units to form the Queen 's Royal Surrey Regiment there are the.... To Friday 10.00 – 16.00 ( Saturdays by appointment ) aspects of the Queen ’ s Royal West Surrey.! Find out more about how we collect, store and use your personal information, read our Privacy.... Training with Bren Guns, c1960 in 1964, it deployed to West Germany the. Of William Joseph Payne of 2, Auckland Place, West Norwood,,... Are the better in 1924 curiosity Museum covering the Victorian and Edwardian Era nd Foot ).... Surrey Libraries and at Surrey History Centre Regiment established a Museum at the Museum pages will represent situation... Bronze JR Gaunt ANTIQUE Original more ideas about Surrey, is now accepting artefacts to rebuild collection. 'S ( Royal West Surrey ) 1 st Battalion ( 2 nd Foot ) January it. Museum History and information on many aspects of the Officers who took part were present unit immediately became of! The Keep at Kingston–upon–Thames the artefacts had to be put in store in 1928 charge Surrey... And use your personal information, read our Privacy Policy store and use your information!

Class 11 English Hornbill Book Pdf, Othello Act 4 Scene 3 Emilia Monologue Analysis, Forest Hills Gardens Homes For Sale, Picture Of Maple Trees, Online Prescription Glasses, Banoffee Pie Big Chill Price, Raspberry Color Code,